Former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has announced on Wednesday that he is backing Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez in the LAUSD school board race.
In District 4, Nick Melvoin is challenging Steven Zimmer, who currently serves as President of the Board. Zimmer is supported by the teachers union, UTLA. Melvoin has a background education and law, and he has served as a seventh and eighth grade English teacher. He has also worked in the Obama White House with the Domestic Policy Council and the US Attorney’s office.
Kelly Gonez is the only teacher who was running in District 6. Like Melvoin, Gonez also has worked in the Obama administration serving as an educational policy advisor. Gonez’s opponent, Imelda Padilla, has the endorsement of UTLA and other labor groups. Steve Zimmer also supports Padilla.
Both Gonez and Melvoin have expressed that they are supportive of providing parents and families with more public school choices within the LAUSD. It’s no secret that Arne Duncan is a supporter of charter schools and the Common Core standards.
In his statement expressing support for both Gonez and Melvoin, Duncan said:
“I support Kelly Gonez and Nick Melvoin because they are both educators who are deeply committed to improving schools, supporting teachers, and empowering parents to find the schools that best meet the needs of their children. We need new blood on the Los Angeles School Board to bring a greater sense of urgency to improving America’s second-largest school district and giving every child, no matter their background, a greater shot at the American Dream.”
The runoff for these LAUSD board races is May 16.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- La Estrella de los Clippers, Kawhi Leonard, dona 1 Millón de Mochilas a los Distritos Escolares de Moreno Valley, Inglewood y Los Ángeles - August 31, 2019
- Escuelas Chárter de California: Un Vistazo Preliminar al Compromiso AB 1505 - August 30, 2019
- Clipper’s Star, Kawhi Leonard, Donates 1 Million Backpacks to Kids the Moreno Valley, Inglewood and Los Angeles School Districts - August 30, 2019
- California Charter Schools: A Preliminary Glance at the AB 1505 Compromise - August 29, 2019
- Adrian Campos, Graduado de PUC Lakeview Charter High School Está en Camino a UCLA #UCLAbound - July 25, 2019