Former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has announced on Wednesday that he is backing Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez in the LAUSD school board race.
In District 4, Nick Melvoin is challenging Steven Zimmer, who currently serves as President of the Board. Zimmer is supported by the teachers union, UTLA. Melvoin has a background education and law, and he has served as a seventh and eighth grade English teacher. He has also worked in the Obama White House with the Domestic Policy Council and the US Attorney’s office.
Kelly Gonez is the only teacher who was running in District 6. Like Melvoin, Gonez also has worked in the Obama administration serving as an educational policy advisor. Gonez’s opponent, Imelda Padilla, has the endorsement of UTLA and other labor groups. Steve Zimmer also supports Padilla.
Both Gonez and Melvoin have expressed that they are supportive of providing parents and families with more public school choices within the LAUSD. It’s no secret that Arne Duncan is a supporter of charter schools and the Common Core standards.
In his statement expressing support for both Gonez and Melvoin, Duncan said:
“I support Kelly Gonez and Nick Melvoin because they are both educators who are deeply committed to improving schools, supporting teachers, and empowering parents to find the schools that best meet the needs of their children. We need new blood on the Los Angeles School Board to bring a greater sense of urgency to improving America’s second-largest school district and giving every child, no matter their background, a greater shot at the American Dream.”
The runoff for these LAUSD board races is May 16.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- La Última Oferta de LAUSD, Antes de la Huelga del Dia Lunes - January 13, 2019
- Por Qué Lleve a Mi Hija, Que Asiste a Una Escuela Charter, a la Marcha de Maestros de Los Ángeles - January 12, 2019
- Latest Offer From LAUSD, Before Monday’s Strike Day - January 12, 2019
- Why I Brought My Daughter, Who Attends a Charter School, to the LA Teacher’s March - January 12, 2019
- Los Votantes de California Apoyan la Promesa de Campaña de Colegios Comunitarios Gratuitos de Newsom - January 11, 2019