Last week President Trump released his proposed budget, and that budget cuts funds for before and after school programs (programs that provide homework assistance, day care, and even food for school aged children). President Trump’s budget director even asserted that there is no evidence that after-school programs help children perform better in school.
But we know otherwise. Quality after-school programs work. The data suggests that quality after-school programs help improve school attendance and engagement, improve test scores and grades, and are more impactful for some of our most vulnerable students. After-school programs also help parents with childcare, allowing them to stay at work longer. In addition, these programs help keep children out of trouble. The after-school hours of 3:00 to 6:00 PM are the peak hours for juvenile crime.
These after-school programs do not need to be cut; they need to be sustained. Trump’s budget shows little regard for children who come from working class families. The learning must continue after the last school bell rings. Children need safe spaces where they can play and do homework with adult supervision.
To see how one after-school program in Georgia works and would be impacted by the Trump budget, watch this clip below.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- Escuela Preparatoria Benjamín Franklin, Gana el Decatlón Académico del LAUSD 2018-19 - February 12, 2019
- Benjamin Franklin High School Wins the 2018-19 LAUSD Academic Decathlon - February 11, 2019
- Mientras Que Los Responsables de Formular Políticas, Exigen la Rendición de Cuentas de las Escuelas Chárter, Deben Exigir lo Mismo, Para las Escuelas Tradicionales - February 8, 2019
- While Policymakers Demand Accountability from Charter Schools, They Need to Demand the Same for Traditional Schools - February 6, 2019
- Comentario: Con la Huelga, el Sindicato de Docentes de LA, Salió Fuerte Luchando por Sus Miembros. ¿Pero Quién Está Luchando por Nuestros Hijos? - January 31, 2019