The early elections results came in last night and showed a robust lead for Melvoin against Board President, Steve Zimmer. That trend continued throughout the evening and eventually, Steve Zimmer conceded. Congratulations to Nick Melvoin, who will replace Zimmer in LAUSD District 4. The race in District 6 was a little tighter between Imelda Padilla and Kelly Gonez. Though Gonez came out ahead, it was very close and Gonez remained optimistic and hopeful that she would prevail. This morning confirms she has won the election.
In District 4, Melvoin won 57.41 percent to Zimmer’s 42.58 percent. Melvoin received 30,696 votes and Zimmer 22,766 votes.
In District 6, it was a much closer race. Gonez received 13,079 votes, or 51.47 percent, over Padilla, who got 12,331 votes, or 48.52 percent. A difference of only 748 votes!
“Based on the results we’re seeing, I feel confident that the voters of BD6 have voted to make me your next member of the Board of Education,” Gonez tweeted just after 12:30 A.M.
Gonez also said she was thankful for the overwhelming support of families, students, and the community.
This election was hard fought by all and one of the most expensive school board races in the nation’s history! Outside groups aligned with either the teacher unions or education reformers poured in $14.5 million to influence the outcome of the race. The candidates have spent $2 million. This amount of spending shatters the previous record set four years ago when $7.4 million was spent.
This victory is also historic in that these two will not be up for reelection until 2020. According to School Board Member Monica García, Tuesday’s winners will serve five-and-a-half-year terms due to the municipal elections becoming aligned with state and federal elections. The next board race is in November 2020.
La Comadre congratulates Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez on their victories, and we look forward to great things at LAUSD.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Good News: Azusa Unified Is Now a Pre-K Through 12th Grade District - August 23, 2017
- Presidente de la Junta de Educación Unificada de Fresno Hace Declaración Anti-LGBT de Dais - August 17, 2017
- El Proyecto de Ley Protegerá a Los Niños de Escuela de Los Delincuentes Sexuales - August 15, 2017
- La Corte de Apelaciones Lanza Orden de Deportación Para Rómulo Avelica-González, Padre de Un Estudiante de Una Escuela Pública de Los Ángeles - August 14, 2017
- President of Fresno Unified Board of Education Makes Anti-LGBT Statement from Dais - August 14, 2017