Finally, a bit of great news to report on a story that has touched all of our hearts. Rómulo Avélica-González, who you may recall was arrested while dropping off his children at their school in Highland Park, was freed yesterday after posting a $6,000 bond.
According to the family and representatives who attended his hearing on Wednesday, the immigration judge ordered his immediate release from an Adelanto detention facility where he has been held since he was arrested.
Romulo Avélica-González was detained by ICE officials on 2/28/17 after dropping one of his daughters (Yuli) at school, with his wife and another daughter (Fatima) in the car. His 13-year-old daughter filmed this video of the arrest.. The story of his deportation went viral when Fatima shared the video footage she had taken with her cell phone.
The family attended Avélica-González’s hearing Wednesday morning where his release was announced, and the family then awaited his return home from the Adelanto detention facility. His 20 year old daughter, Jocelyn, gave the following statement to the LA Times,
“I’m just happy that he’s finally out, I can’t wait to see him at home.”
To be clear, Avélica-González is being allowed to go home pending his deportation hearing. The case is still being adjudicated. The decision to allow Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez to be freed on $6,000 bond does not mean the end to his possible deportation, but it will allow him to return to his family while his case proceeds.
“I have gained strength from all who have stood alongside me these past months,” Avelica-Gonzalez said in a statement released by supporters. “I have courage and a new calling having spent six months detained and alongside many who are still fighting for their freedom. I will savor every minute with my family. I will fight for my right to remain with them and in this country. And I will never again be able to look away from how deportations are tearing families apart.” He was released shortly after 5 pm Wednesday night.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- ¡La promesa del Colegio de Long Beach Nos Muestra a Todos Cómo Debe Hacerse! - December 12, 2018
- Los Estudiantes en Paraíso Regresan a la Escuela Después de un Incendio Devastador - December 11, 2018
- 10 Candidatos Cumplen con los Requisitos de Firma para Presentarse en la Boleta Electoral para la Elección Especial del Distrito 5 del Distrito Escolar Unificado de Los Ángeles - December 11, 2018
- Students in Paradise Return to School After Devastating Fires - December 11, 2018
- En Salinas, Kathryn Ramírez y Anthony Rocha, Han Sido Elegidos para las Juntas Escolares de Salinas - December 10, 2018