I received important information today regarding a rally to be held in Los Angeles on Monday the 23rd of October.
Parents and charter school supporters will be assembling outside the Ronald Reagan building in Downtown Los Angeles in support of their right to choose what public school their child will attend. As a reminder, the State of California has two options for parents in terms of public education: the traditional neighborhood public school or a charter school which is also a public school and is publicly funded.
Charter school options have been controversial and historically demonized by teachers unions. Charter schools have suffered by a stigma created by the unions that they unfairly select students and are funded by “millionaires” to steal money from traditional schools in an effort to end traditional public education. That, of course, is a false narrative that instills fear and perpetuates the negative stigma that has been created, mostly by unions.
Currently, there are 1,230 charter schools in California. Clearly, that number falls way short of what would be needed to “take over” the public education system.
I am sharing this information for those Comadres that wish to take part in the rally on Monday or those that are interested in learning more about charter schools.
Moving forward, I suspect the issue may get even more contentious as the lack of understanding of school choice grows and is compounded by the fact that US Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos advocates for more private school and vouchers, which have absolutely nothing to do with charter schools.
*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***
CHARTER SCHOOL SUPPORTERS RALLY EN MASSE
OUTSIDE STATE SENATE EDUCATION COMMITTEE HEARING
Dozens of parents and charter school supporters will speak out at a rally in front of the Ronald Reagan Building in downtown Los Angeles as the California State Senate Education Committee begins discussions on key issues surrounding charter school authorization. Focus is on a parent’s ability to choose a public school best suited to meet their child’s learning needs and how specific legislation, aimed at limiting or eliminating access to charter schools, negatively impacts parents, students and communities. Joining the parents are teachers, students and community leaders from across the state.
WHAT: “My Child – My Choice” Charter School Rally
WHERE: Ronald Reagan State Building
300 South Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
WHEN: Monday, October 23, 2017
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (General Available)
Parent speakers: 10:15am to 10:30 am
Student speakers: 10:30am to 10:35 am
Teacher speakers: 10:35am to 10:45 am
* Interview Opportunities begin at 10:45 am
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- Luchadora Profile: Meet Hilda Maldonado, the Highest Ranking Latina in LAUSD - August 17, 2018
- Panel de 3 Jueces Dictaminan Contra la Orden Ejecutiva “Jurisdicciones Santuario” de Trump, del 25 de Enero de 2017, Una Victoria para Nuestras Comunidades - August 7, 2018
- 3 Judge Panel Rules Against Trump’s “Sanctuary Jurisdictions” Executive Order of January 25 2017, A Win For Our Communities - August 6, 2018
- Un Cafecito y Platica: Lakisha Young, de Oakland, ha Terminado de Esperar a Superman y Está Lista Para Que los Padres Tomen el Liderazgo - July 24, 2018
- Coffee Break: Oakland’s Lakisha Young Is Done Waiting for Superman and Ready for Parents to Take the Lead - July 23, 2018