The popular television show “Jane the Virgin” has addressed another very real and somewhat controversial issue in its most recent episode. If you are not a fan or viewer of the highly rated show featuring Gina Rodriguez in the lead role, you are missing out. I encourage you to binge watch the series as soon as possible.
The series does not shy away from dealing with social issues and controversial topics and has addressed many social issues in the past. Most notably, the issue of Jane’s abuela being undocumented and her journey to citizenship. The show has also tackled other social issues such as abortion. Now, the series has showcased an issue that inevitably all parents are faced with, school choice.
When Jane and her baby’s father, Rafael, are trying to work out an educational plan for their five-year-old son, Mateo, they face the same issues many parents deal with. After a visit to the local public school, Jane is convinced that she cannot and will not send her son there. Jane and Rafael are forced to consider other options. Watch the clip below to see how that conversation went down:
We all know families that have had to lie about where they live in order to enroll their kids in a better school. Jane is surprised to find out from her Abuela that in fact, her own Mom and Grandmother did the same.
As I watched, having no idea that this would be one of the episodes storylines, I said to myself under my breath, “Right on, Abuela!”
This is a very real and important conversation that does not get nearly enough attention. Families struggle with school choice, and school options cannot continue to be ignored. I applaud the writers of the series on their thoughtful approach to the topic.
Interestingly, critics mentioned that the show may have “unwittingly” made the case for school choice and I have to disagree with that analysis. I think the show has shown its social consciousness in the past and this was deliberate support for parents school choice.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Huelga del LAUSD: ¿Cuál es la Historia Real? Ex Maestra, Ex Miembro del Consejo Escolar y Mamá Nos Los Explica - September 17, 2018
- LAUSD Strike: What’s the Real Story? Former Teacher, Former School Board Member, and Mom Breaks It Down - September 13, 2018
- La Escuela Inland Empire Entregará $ 15.7 Millones para el Arreglo de Casos de Abuso Sexual, pero quedan Dudas Sobre lo que se Está Haciendo para Proteger a los Estudiantes - September 4, 2018
- Inland Empire School Dishes Out $15.7 Million in Sex Abuse Case Settlement, But Questions Remain About What Is Being Done To Protect Students - August 29, 2018
- Betsy DeVos Está Por Quitarle los Derechos a los Estudiantes Aprendices del Idioma Inglés - August 23, 2018