It is incredibly important to know “who your people are” in your time of need. Actions speak louder than words and money. KIPP Charter School network convened a panel on Capitol Hill to urge Congress to fix DACA and pass a clean Dream Act.
Reed Hastings, Co-founder of KIPP Charter Schools, Dave Levin of KIPP Schools and Rod Paige, Former Education Secretary, all went to Capitol Hill on Wednesday to convene a panel to advocate for immediate passage of a clean DACA fix. Urging Congress not to use #DREAMERS as a bargaining chip but to instead do the right thing by the thousands of people brought to the United States as children.
Several KIPP students and teachers told their stories and the entire advocacy group talked about the incredible urgency and importance of Congress finding a fix for #DACA by the end of the year as more than 20,000 DACA teachers lives are in limbo at the moment, including teachers from within KIPP schools. All in all, there are nearly 800,000 lives that are currently affected by the suspension of #DACA.
We should be incredibly grateful to these folks for making our communities a priority and advocating on behalf of thousands who feel hopeless right now as their lives are twisting in the wind.
Tweets from Speakers included the following:
“I’m a #Dreamer that worked two jobs with a full course load in college. My mother has a green card. If we don’t do something about #DACA , she and I will be separated.” – Nancy @KIPP #ProtectDreamers
#Houston voices were loud and proud on #CapitolHill. We are so proud of the courageous @KIPP alumni for showing up and speaking up. #Congress must put an end to the uncertainty around these young Americans’ lives! #ProtectDreamers
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- La Última Oferta de LAUSD, Antes de la Huelga del Dia Lunes - January 13, 2019
- Por Qué Lleve a Mi Hija, Que Asiste a Una Escuela Charter, a la Marcha de Maestros de Los Ángeles - January 12, 2019
- Latest Offer From LAUSD, Before Monday’s Strike Day - January 12, 2019
- Why I Brought My Daughter, Who Attends a Charter School, to the LA Teacher’s March - January 12, 2019
- Los Votantes de California Apoyan la Promesa de Campaña de Colegios Comunitarios Gratuitos de Newsom - January 11, 2019