The LAUSD Board of Education has appointed Vivian Ekchian, the current acting Superintendent, as long term interim while the Board searches for a Superintendent to replace Michelle King.
King is currently out on medical leave, fighting cancer and is scheduled to retire by June 2018. The board unanimously appointed Ekchian late Tuesday after 2½ hours in closed session.
“I am humbled and honored to serve the students, families, and employees of the Los Angeles Unified School District as interim superintendent,” said Ekchian in a statement issued last night by the board of education.
“I look forward to accelerating the transformative work that is occurring throughout the District, while maintaining our steadfast focus on 100 percent graduation that will guarantee college, career, and life readiness for our shining stars,” she added.
The Board of Education seemed to be in agreement that Ekchian was a good pick for the interim job and expressed confidence that she will do a great job.
“We have confidence in Ms. Vivian Ekchian’s ability to lead the team during this critical period,” said School Board President Mónica García. “L.A. Unified’s commitment to access and equity will continue without interruption.”
LAUSD is the second largest school district in the United States (behind New York) with more than 640,000 student in K-12 grades. It operates 960 schools and 187 public charter schools spread over 730 square miles, according to the district’s statistics.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Bienvenido a su Escuela Secundaria Subpar: Los Maestros de Banning Comienzan el Año Escolar en Huelga - August 16, 2018
- Betsy DeVos Is About to Throw English Language Learners Under the Bus - August 16, 2018
- Los Miembros de la Junta Escolar Deben Pensar Más Cuidadosamente, Antes de Negar las Peticiones de las Escuela Charter - August 15, 2018
- Rosalie Ávila Obtiene su Día, Día de la Prevención de Bullying - August 13, 2018
- School Board Members Need to Think More Carefully Before Denying Charter School Petitions - August 13, 2018