Yes, I am giving the side eye to this movida by the embattled State Senator from Artesia, Mr. Tony Mendoza. Mendoza is a former elementary school teacher who was found to “most likely” have engaged in inappropriate and illegal behavior with female staff and interns from a Senate investigation. Mendoza also provided alcoholic beverages to a 19 year old intern. Given that the legal age for drinking is 21 and his position as a superior, this is definitely something that a former teacher and lawmaker should know is wrong.
As you can see from the creepy resignation letter he tweeted yesterday, it seems like Mendoza is sorry, NOT sorry. He wrote an “angry” resignation letter (you can almost hear him pouting) and blamed everyone and everything but himself, took zero responsibility, and practically gave an “hasta la vista baby” and an “I’ll be back” in the same breath.
His defiant resignation has left many confused and disgusted. I spoke to elected officials from within his district and the same question comes up: why the is even considering a run for office again?
Mendoza was on a leave of absence during an investigation that he dubbed as “secretive” into misconduct on harassment charges that were alleged against him late last year. We are particularly concerned about the young lady from a local university that was hired as an intern and accompanied Mendoza solo to a convention where he gave her liquor and tried (unsuccessfully) to take advantage of her sexually. College students apply for internships in good faith and are eager to learn about the legislative process. It is entirely unacceptable that this student was made to feel harrassed and violated during her tenure as an intern in Mr. Mendoza’s office. According to the investigation, those allegations proved to be mostly true.
I do not feel bad for this guy at all, especially since he is indicating that he may run for election again for the same seat. It’s obvious that he resigned so it would look better to constituents when he asks for their support in the June 2018 primary! Shame on this guy.
Tony Mendoza’s resignation letter is as as horrendous as his character. Let’s make sure that he is not rewarded with the privilege of serving in elected office again.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Necesitamos Claridad Sobre la Ley Federal Que Exige Que Todos Los Niños en Estados Unidos Reciban Educación Pública Gratuita, Independientemente del Estado Migratorio - July 18, 2018
- We Need Clarity About the Federal Law Requiring All Children on U.S. Soil to Receive Free Public Education, Regardless of Immigration Status - July 13, 2018
- ¿Tienen Derecho Los Estudiantes a Aprender Mientras Están en la Escuela? Un Juez de Detroit Dice, Tal Vez No … Entonces, ¿Por Qué Deberían Estar Obligados a Asistir? - July 12, 2018
- Do Students Have The Right To Learn While In School? A Detroit Judge Says, Maybe Not…So, Why Should They Be Required To Attend? - July 11, 2018
- Auditoría Estatal Muestra que Ex Administradores de San Ysidro Pueden Haber Conspirado para Involucrarse en Fraude /de Apropiación Indebida - July 2, 2018