I came across this video today while scrolling on my facebook feed.It’s vexing to me.
We have this huge need to hire more teachers, and at the same time that the Trump administration has cut off Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which impacts over 20,000 teachers!
According to USA Today, there are over 20,000 teachers across the nation that currently hold DACA and teaching credentials:
“Nationwide, an estimated 20,000 DACA-eligible teachers — many of them possessing key Spanish-language skills that are in high demand — could be plucked from the classroom if the program is phased out.”
Did you know that there is an organization that actually recruits DACA recipients to teach in communities of color all over America? Teach for America has over 190 so-called DACAmented teachers in their extensive teaching corp. Hey, here’s a novel idea. Why not include a expedited pathway to citizenship for those who teach, you know, for America? Because we need teachers and DACA recipients need a pathway forward. That was easy!
In California, there are at least 5,000 teachers who are DACA recipients.
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to those charged with making policy in Washington. The latest we have heard is that there is a scramble to take a random bill and use it as what is commonly referred to as a ‘shell bill’ to put the future of children, teachers, young professionals and the entire nation really in it and see if they can get something passed to address the DREAMers. Some 800,000 lives will be immediately impacted. Congress may come to a vote as early as Monday, which gives us an opportunity to help.
Here is an awesome feature from our friends at FWD.US to help you easily connect to your representative. Click Here to be automatically connected to your congressional representatives and tell them to do something to protect these young people.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Artes y Humanidades Bajo Ataque de Nuevo Después de que Retratos de Obama se Dieron a Conocer - February 16, 2018
- Arts and Humanities Under Attack Again After Obama Portraits Were Unveiled - February 13, 2018
- Sin Una Solución a DACA, la Escasez de Maestros Podría Empeorar - February 12, 2018
- Without a DACA Fix, the Teacher Shortage Could Worsen - February 9, 2018
- Lo Que Pienso Sobre Gregory Salcido, Concejal de Pico Rivera y Maestro de la Preparatoria El Rancho - February 7, 2018