I came across this video today while scrolling on my facebook feed.It’s vexing to me.
We have this huge need to hire more teachers, and at the same time that the Trump administration has cut off Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which impacts over 20,000 teachers!
According to USA Today, there are over 20,000 teachers across the nation that currently hold DACA and teaching credentials:
“Nationwide, an estimated 20,000 DACA-eligible teachers — many of them possessing key Spanish-language skills that are in high demand — could be plucked from the classroom if the program is phased out.”
Did you know that there is an organization that actually recruits DACA recipients to teach in communities of color all over America? Teach for America has over 190 so-called DACAmented teachers in their extensive teaching corp. Hey, here’s a novel idea. Why not include a expedited pathway to citizenship for those who teach, you know, for America? Because we need teachers and DACA recipients need a pathway forward. That was easy!
In California, there are at least 5,000 teachers who are DACA recipients.
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to those charged with making policy in Washington. The latest we have heard is that there is a scramble to take a random bill and use it as what is commonly referred to as a ‘shell bill’ to put the future of children, teachers, young professionals and the entire nation really in it and see if they can get something passed to address the DREAMers. Some 800,000 lives will be immediately impacted. Congress may come to a vote as early as Monday, which gives us an opportunity to help.
Here is an awesome feature from our friends at FWD.US to help you easily connect to your representative. Click Here to be automatically connected to your congressional representatives and tell them to do something to protect these young people.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Huelga del LAUSD: ¿Cuál es la Historia Real? Ex Maestra, Ex Miembro del Consejo Escolar y Mamá Nos Los Explica - September 17, 2018
- LAUSD Strike: What’s the Real Story? Former Teacher, Former School Board Member, and Mom Breaks It Down - September 13, 2018
- La Escuela Inland Empire Entregará $ 15.7 Millones para el Arreglo de Casos de Abuso Sexual, pero quedan Dudas Sobre lo que se Está Haciendo para Proteger a los Estudiantes - September 4, 2018
- Inland Empire School Dishes Out $15.7 Million in Sex Abuse Case Settlement, But Questions Remain About What Is Being Done To Protect Students - August 29, 2018
- Betsy DeVos Está Por Quitarle los Derechos a los Estudiantes Aprendices del Idioma Inglés - August 23, 2018