I came across this video today while scrolling on my facebook feed.It’s vexing to me.
We have this huge need to hire more teachers, and at the same time that the Trump administration has cut off Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which impacts over 20,000 teachers!
According to USA Today, there are over 20,000 teachers across the nation that currently hold DACA and teaching credentials:
“Nationwide, an estimated 20,000 DACA-eligible teachers — many of them possessing key Spanish-language skills that are in high demand — could be plucked from the classroom if the program is phased out.”
Did you know that there is an organization that actually recruits DACA recipients to teach in communities of color all over America? Teach for America has over 190 so-called DACAmented teachers in their extensive teaching corp. Hey, here’s a novel idea. Why not include a expedited pathway to citizenship for those who teach, you know, for America? Because we need teachers and DACA recipients need a pathway forward. That was easy!
In California, there are at least 5,000 teachers who are DACA recipients.
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to those charged with making policy in Washington. The latest we have heard is that there is a scramble to take a random bill and use it as what is commonly referred to as a ‘shell bill’ to put the future of children, teachers, young professionals and the entire nation really in it and see if they can get something passed to address the DREAMers. Some 800,000 lives will be immediately impacted. Congress may come to a vote as early as Monday, which gives us an opportunity to help.
Here is an awesome feature from our friends at FWD.US to help you easily connect to your representative. Click Here to be automatically connected to your congressional representatives and tell them to do something to protect these young people.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Necesitamos Claridad Sobre la Ley Federal Que Exige Que Todos Los Niños en Estados Unidos Reciban Educación Pública Gratuita, Independientemente del Estado Migratorio - July 18, 2018
- We Need Clarity About the Federal Law Requiring All Children on U.S. Soil to Receive Free Public Education, Regardless of Immigration Status - July 13, 2018
- ¿Tienen Derecho Los Estudiantes a Aprender Mientras Están en la Escuela? Un Juez de Detroit Dice, Tal Vez No … Entonces, ¿Por Qué Deberían Estar Obligados a Asistir? - July 12, 2018
- Do Students Have The Right To Learn While In School? A Detroit Judge Says, Maybe Not…So, Why Should They Be Required To Attend? - July 11, 2018
- Auditoría Estatal Muestra que Ex Administradores de San Ysidro Pueden Haber Conspirado para Involucrarse en Fraude /de Apropiación Indebida - July 2, 2018