I once knew of a teacher that intentionally failed every Latino student that came through her classroom. She taught math and science in a local high school in the Inland Empire. Of course, I lobbied for her firing. Unfortunately, she was not fired and earned a retirement after her deplorable behavior toward children for over three decades!
If you cannot fathom how a child can get all F’s in a school in San Francisco, you have not been paying attention. Sadly. It’s not as rare a situation as school officials would like you to believe.
“There’s probably a root cause,” Truitt, chief of student family and community support for the school district in San Francisco, said. “When you’re talking about a student that’s failing every class, every semester for years, that’s an extremely rare and severe case.”
The root cause is probably that no one gave a damn about this child to even intervene before the situation declined to this point! And no, he is not alone! There have been others children like this in our schools — too many of them in fact. Some of these schools simply operate as if it’s acceptable to throw away these kids.
Getting all F’s in every class in high school is one thing, but it’s just as bad to give kids passing grades when they really haven’t mastered the subject. I cannot begin to tell you how many students have graduated from their high schools thinking they were in the top 20 percent of the class and they then go out into the real world, only to find that they perform poorly on community college placement tests. These students end up requiring several years of remiaditon in order to attend community college.
All of this is criminal. I have often said that I believe that a whole generation of kids have cause for a class action lawsuit against the California Department of Education. I sincerely hope that parents begin to get more involved in holding schools and teachers accountable.
We cannot allow for this kind of injustice to continue in our schools.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Necesitamos Claridad Sobre la Ley Federal Que Exige Que Todos Los Niños en Estados Unidos Reciban Educación Pública Gratuita, Independientemente del Estado Migratorio - July 18, 2018
- We Need Clarity About the Federal Law Requiring All Children on U.S. Soil to Receive Free Public Education, Regardless of Immigration Status - July 13, 2018
- ¿Tienen Derecho Los Estudiantes a Aprender Mientras Están en la Escuela? Un Juez de Detroit Dice, Tal Vez No … Entonces, ¿Por Qué Deberían Estar Obligados a Asistir? - July 12, 2018
- Do Students Have The Right To Learn While In School? A Detroit Judge Says, Maybe Not…So, Why Should They Be Required To Attend? - July 11, 2018
- Auditoría Estatal Muestra que Ex Administradores de San Ysidro Pueden Haber Conspirado para Involucrarse en Fraude /de Apropiación Indebida - July 2, 2018