California’s Charter Schools are finding different ways to advocate and provide for their most vulnerable students. On September 18, 2018, Governor Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill (AB) 1871 to law. AB 1871, authored by Assemblymember Ron Bonta (D-Oakland), will provide free and reduced lunch to eligible students.
In a statement that was released after the governor signed the bill, Assemblymember Bonta said, “Food is fundamental, and hunger doesn’t care where a student goes to school. I thank the Governor for signing this bill because every student in California deserves access to a healthy meal. AB 1871 means more children will have nourishment and thereby be ready to learn and reach their full potential.”
Charter schools already recognize how important nutrition is for learning, and some have already been providing meals to eligible students. This new law will help charter schools provide at least one free or reduced-price meal a day to students who qualify. Charter schools will be partnering with local districts to receive support in: access to quality facilities, food service vendors, and technical expertise in to help navigate local and federal food service requirements.
This is a major win towards supporting charter schools to continue to support children and putting children first.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- Escuela Preparatoria Benjamín Franklin, Gana el Decatlón Académico del LAUSD 2018-19 - February 12, 2019
- Benjamin Franklin High School Wins the 2018-19 LAUSD Academic Decathlon - February 11, 2019
- Mientras Que Los Responsables de Formular Políticas, Exigen la Rendición de Cuentas de las Escuelas Chárter, Deben Exigir lo Mismo, Para las Escuelas Tradicionales - February 8, 2019
- While Policymakers Demand Accountability from Charter Schools, They Need to Demand the Same for Traditional Schools - February 6, 2019
- Comentario: Con la Huelga, el Sindicato de Docentes de LA, Salió Fuerte Luchando por Sus Miembros. ¿Pero Quién Está Luchando por Nuestros Hijos? - January 31, 2019