On August 23, the California legislature passed a bill (AB 406) that will make all charter schools public. This will ensure that all charters school are free to parents and their children and will not be operated by for profit companies.
Nonprofit organizations have led the charter school movement. For the most part, charter schools have been free to parents and children. A very small percentage were run by for profit organizations and charged for children to attend.
By signing AB 406, California legislators show they are committed to ensuring its children receive a free education that is accessible to all students.
AB 406 was supported by the California Teachers Association, the American Federation of the State, County and Municipal employees, the Association of California School Administrators, the California Labor Federation, the California School Boards Association, the California School Employees Association and the California State PTA.
The bill was signed and supported by Governor Jerry Brown on September 7, 2018.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- Cómo Impacta el Discurso de Beutner en el Trabajo de La Comadre - September 21, 2018
- Governor Brown Signs AB 1871, Providing Free and Reduced Price Meals to Charter School Students - September 21, 2018
- How Beutner’s Address Impacts the Work of La Comadre - September 19, 2018
- Discurso del Superintendente Beutner, en las Escuelas Comunitarias RFK - September 17, 2018
- Governor Signs Ban on For Profit Charter Schools - September 14, 2018