As I sat in my classroom and wrote my class syllabus this summer, it became clear that teaching involves a team of stakeholders for students. The biggest lesson learned from my first year of teaching was that I couldn’t do it alone. The students in my classroom need me, along with the support of their friends, families, and other members of our school community.
This year, one of my first assignments was a Family Welcome Letter, in which students and their families would read a letter from me and have their parents write one in response. I introduced myself and my values in the work and then asked parents to reflect on the strengths and areas of growth for their student. I asked parents to share the goals they had as a family for the 10th grade and overall, to just get a sense of what makes their student special.
Getting to know students through the eyes of their parents was a truly special way to start the school year. Parents shared how important doing well in school is for them, parents shared ways that students have grown throughout their time in high school and expressed their goals for the future. The overarching theme amongst the 150 letters was one of hope and a desire to succeed.
This assignment could not have come at a better time in the school year. Our students are facing a system that is not designed for them to succeed. As much as I hate this system and have even suffered as a student because of it, it is my responsibility to teach these students to disrupt it, while stressing the fact that we can do it together. Having the opportunities to connect with families from the offset of the year reminded me of how passionate and committed I am to doing the work. Our students can’t wait — they need the effort of their teachers and families every single day this school year. My students are counting on me to give my work my best effort within my sphere of influence: my classroom. My time in front of them has to be intentional and impactful this school year, let’s make it a great one!
Latest posts by Daniela Felix (see all)
- Es Temporada de Solicitudes Universitarias y los Estudiantes de #FirstGen Necesitan Una Afirmación - December 11, 2018
- It’s College Application Season and #FirstGen Students Need Affirmation - November 30, 2018
- Enseñó en el Área de la Bahía, y Algunos de Mis Estudiantes Tienen Acceso Inadecuado a las Herramientas Técnicas en el Hogar - November 21, 2018
- I Teach in the Bay Area, and Some of My Students Have Inadequate Access to Tech - November 21, 2018
- La Secretaria DeVos, Propone Cambios Controversiales de Acoso Sexual en los Campus Universitarios - November 20, 2018