Parents and caregivers choosing to exercise school choice have hurdles to go through. Making good choices for our children isn’t easy. There are many reasons why parents might decide not to send their children to their neighborhood public schools. If a parent wants a charter school for their children, there are multiple applications to fill out for each student at each school. This has been a particularly large burden for parents with more than one child.
The Los Angeles Unified School District offers a variety of schools for children. Children are not all the same and each family has different needs. Parents might want a school closer to their place of employment. Or a parent might want a school with a particular program that isn’t offered at the neighborhood public school. A parent might also not feel comfortable with the neighborhood school’s testing scores or English language learner reclassification rates.
Whatever the reason, each school had its own requirements, platform, and deadlines. This week, Great Public Schools Now launched a platform for parents to apply to multiple charter public schools with one application (applyla.org). The new platform offers support in English, Spanish, and Korean. Thirty-one schools will be participating in the ApplyLA common application. Great Public Schools Now has a number to support parents through the application process: (877) 877-5057. Parents can also email them ([email protected]).
Schools are now accepting applications for the 2019-2020. Below, please find instructions for how to use Great Public Schools Now’s new platform:
- Go to applyla.org
- Create an account for parent or caregiver. This requires the parent to have an email address or phone number.
- Next, fill out the parent/guardian information. Add one parent at a time on the first page. Once you have filled this out, you can either press “Next” or “Add another guardian”.
- A map will pop up. Confirm it has your proper home address. Click the address in “validated address”.
- The next page asks you to add your child’s information. At the bottom right hand side, there is a green button that allows you to add other children. Click “Next” if you don’t have other children.
- On the next page, check that you have the correct school year. Is this the correct school year you are applying for? Next, choose the child you will be making school choices for. Put in their current grade level. Then put in grade they will be during the school year you are applying for.
- Finally, choose your schools. Each school option comes with the website of the school, a map of their location, and their profile.
- The next page will ask you to confirm the information.
- Press submit.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- Cómo California Hace los Presupuestos Para la Educación - February 22, 2019
- How California Budgets for Education - February 22, 2019
- A Closer Look at Beutner’s Goal to Increase Funding for LA Schools and to Reduce Central Bureaucracy - February 22, 2019
- Escuela Preparatoria Benjamín Franklin, Gana el Decatlón Académico del LAUSD 2018-19 - February 12, 2019
- Benjamin Franklin High School Wins the 2018-19 LAUSD Academic Decathlon - February 11, 2019