“When someone shows you who they are, believe them…”
By now we’ve all seen the images. Folks on social media, especially among us Latinos, are chiming in on the group of teachers in Idaho who showed up to the traditional public school they teach at in costumes depicting the infamous Donald Trump Wall of Hate with Make America Great Again (our own Hitler Slogan) and dressed as stereotypical Mexicans (we do not dress this way and never have!). Okay then!
I remember reading that there was a shortage of teachers in Idaho not too long ago. Apparently, there is also a shortage of smart teachers as well. That said, I believe that Idaho would be better off this morning with 13 fewer teachers. If you can stomach overt racism in schools and you are in need of a change of scenery and a teaching job, these positions pay an average of $33,743.00 per year, and districts in Idaho are hiring. Yes, Idaho teachers are underpaid, and the taxpayers there are definitely getting what they pay for.
The apology from Superintendent Josh Middleton went something like this:
He called the costumes “clearly insensitive and inappropriate.” blah blah blah…”We are better than this, we embrace all students we have a responsibility to teach and reach all students,” he said. Blah, blah, blah…He also said there was PROBABLY no malicious intent (he could not confirm that point?) and instead offered that it was just a case of “poor judgment”…blah, blah, blah…cover my ass…and we are doing an investigation.
I just don’t accept this apology. On behalf on the nearly 13% Latino kids enrolled in Middleton Heights Elementary, I urge you to take the apology and stuff it in your piñata! I am sick and tired of teachers thinking they can offend our community, our kids, and our culture and then simply have someone apologize on their behalf and it’s all forgive and forget! The truth is that an apology cannot be accepted because now we know who you are! We know where you stand! We know you are a racist, hateful and ignorant person who made the choice to display that ignorance for the world to see. So guess what? We do not accept your apology! We want your resignation!
We do not want you teaching our black and brown kids now that your contempt has been verified! Resign or be fired! Those are the only options to correct this disgraceful stunt!
Call the District and demand the dismissal of the #Idaho13 NOW!
Leave Dr. Middleton, the superintendent, a message on the district’s FB page or contact him at (208) 585-3027 or [email protected]
Middleton School District Board of Trustees
- Chair Tim Winkle, [email protected]
- Erica St. Michell, [email protected]
- Marianne Blackwell, [email protected]
- Aleisha McConkie, [email protected]
The Board of Trustees next scheduled meeting is Monday, November 12, at 6 pm.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- ¡La promesa del Colegio de Long Beach Nos Muestra a Todos Cómo Debe Hacerse! - December 12, 2018
- Los Estudiantes en Paraíso Regresan a la Escuela Después de un Incendio Devastador - December 11, 2018
- 10 Candidatos Cumplen con los Requisitos de Firma para Presentarse en la Boleta Electoral para la Elección Especial del Distrito 5 del Distrito Escolar Unificado de Los Ángeles - December 11, 2018
- Students in Paradise Return to School After Devastating Fires - December 11, 2018
- En Salinas, Kathryn Ramírez y Anthony Rocha, Han Sido Elegidos para las Juntas Escolares de Salinas - December 10, 2018