Attention! Governor Newsom. When you say that publicly funded schools should be held accountable to the public, do you mean that the THOUSANDS of low performing traditional schools will also be reviewed for their role in draining the education system? Or are we just going to gloss over that inconvenient fact and let it go unaddressed for yet another generation?
This is not a difficult concept. Yes, all charter schools should be held accountable. One of the great features of a charter school is that ability to review it, evaluate its effectiveness, and not reauthorize it if it’s not making the grade. Unfortunately, that level of accountability does NOT exist for traditional public schools. As a result, our public education system is marred with hundreds of low performing schools that go on and on forever and in many cases receive millions of dollars in additional funding to help improve those schools. So by the logic that charter schools ‘take money” from the education system, we can also say that the millions being wasted on schools to improve that never do, siphons money from schools within their own system.
Isn’t it time to look at these longstanding, persistently failing schools, and fix them? It is so disingenuous to act as though you care about education if you turn a blind eye to these institutions of systemic oppression and classrooms of inequity where children who are doomed to attend these schools leave helpless and hopeless.
Stop blaming charter schools for the problems that existed long before the Charter School Act of 1992! Traditional public (neighborhood) schools have always tried to blame their failures on someone or something else. It’s time to face the truth. Charter schools were born of need, not greed. Let’s look at the negative impact that has been created by all failing schools, both charter and traditional.
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- “Recuperando Mi Identidad, Las Perspectivas Únicas de ser Bilingüe” El Discurso de Tech Senior Dagney Ochoa al Obtener el Sello de Bilingüismo de CA - July 18, 2019
- “Regaining My Identity, The Unique Insights of Being Bilingual” Tech Senior Dagney Ochoa’s Speech Upon Earning the CA Seal of Biliteracy - July 18, 2019
- ¿Se Escucharán las Voces de los Padres Cuando la Educación de Nuestros Hijos Esté en Juego? - July 11, 2019
- Will Parent Voices Be Heard When It’s Our Children’s Education at Stake? - July 10, 2019
- Buenas Noticias Para la Educación en el Presupuesto del Estado de California - July 3, 2019