Tell me why we are having a conversation in the legislature about taking teachers and administrators out of “low-income” schools? Why are some legislators actually advocating to ignore the teacher shortage crisis by adding to it? Are unintended consequences of larger class sizes is being completely ignored in the current conversation, which directly affects thousands of Latino and African American students?
For those who are complaining about Betsy DeVos wanting larger class sizes, I say to you, behold Assemblymember Cristina Garcia (D – Bell Gardens) who is essentially calling for the same thing in California. Garcia’s reckless anti-teacher bill (AB-221 Teach for America teachers: assignment prohibition in low-income schools) would gut teachers and administrators in schools across the state.
A quick review of the schools in her district tells a story of neglect and ongoing low performance.
For example, take a look at these struggling school districts within her neighborhood/district:
Many of the schools and districts in Assemblymember Garcia’s district are chronically low performing and are in dire need of reform. Additionally, most are also classified as “low-income” schools. Where is the accountability for these schools that are failing kids every single day!? Where is the bill that will hold these all teachers, regardless of where they trained, accountable for persistently failing to teach kids in these schools? Let me answer that for you. Legislators like Garcia think it is more important to pander the biggest lobbyists in the state (California Teachers Association) due to self-preservation and re-elections rather than address the real crisis in education.
Again, we repeat #fixfailingschoolsfirst.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- LeBron’s I Promise School Where “Nothing is given. Everything is earned.” - August 19, 2019
- Cuando Dices, Que los Niños “Pobres” Pueden, (En Blanco) Tan Bien Como los Niños “Blancos”, ¿Qué Estás Diciendo Realmente? - August 16, 2019
- When You Say “Poor” Kids Can (Blank) Just As Well As “White” Kids, What Are You Really Saying? - August 16, 2019
- Equipo de Regreso a la Escuela a Prueba de Balas: Costoso, Pero Potencialmente Salvavidas - August 14, 2019
- Challenging Teacher Tenure: Parents Should Have Access to Teacher Evaluations - August 13, 2019