Last week 25 high
Charli Kemp founded Change the Tune to bring people together to create systems of equity around three pillars: food, music and social impact. Some of Change the Tune’s programming includes a multidisciplinary STEAM, Entrepreneurship, Social Emotional Learning Lab that focuses on preparing youth with 21st-century learning skills.
The Summer Institute for Business and Leadership was a 10-day experience that worked to empower students to discover their passions and purpose through building an entrepreneurial mindset. Green Dot and Change the Tune worked with USC Marshall School of Business, Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship, and Spanx by Sarah Blakely Foundation to create this program to empower students to develop their passion and purpose through building an entrepreneurial mindset. This is the second year that the Summer Institute for Business and Leadership has run. The program would not have been as successful without the amazing partners; Charli would like to thank USC Marshall, NFTE, Daraja Collective, Rising Tide, and Holistically Dope.
The goal of the Summer Institute for Business and Leadership is expose high school aged girls to business leadership programming and to provide experience in real world project-based learning for students to take action as social entrepreneurs. Last week the students in the program had to present their final business plans as the culminating activity.
This year 89% of the Summer Institute of Business and Leadership participants were Latina, and 11% were African American. The skills such as leadership, being able to create and conceptualize a plan, and work in a team are all skills that are necessary in college. For women who come from families who cannot afford to send them to expensive summer boot camps, programs like the Summer Institute of Business and Leadership are extremely valuable in developing academic perseverance and in goal and career setting.
Latest posts by Adriana Maestas (see all)
- 25 Chicas de Preparatoria se Graduan Del Instituto de Verano para Negocios y Liderazgo en Los Ángeles - July 24, 2019
- 25 High School Girls Graduate From Summer Institute for Business and Leadership in Los Angeles - July 22, 2019
- Margeaux Randolph Ofrece Educación Técnica a Estudiantes en el Sur de Los Ángeles - April 4, 2019
- Margeaux Randolph Brings Tech Education to Students in South LA - March 29, 2019
- Luchadora Profile: Amerika Sanchez, Principal and Education Advocate, Fights for Social Justice in San Francisco - December 17, 2018