Strike still looms over the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). Another offer from LAUSD has been rejected by United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA). UTLA leadership called the offer “insulting” and “anemic” and vowed that it would still recommend a strike despite the contract offer. The union also felt that the offer did not do anything to address conditions in the classroom and would not improve educational outcomes.
Currently, the district and UTLA are still in the fact-finding stage so if a resolution is not found, teachers would strike immediately thereafter. Los Angeles Unified offered the contract and despite it’s quick dismissal by the teachers union, the district has said that it will continue to bargain in good faith and continue to look for a resolution.
The rejected offer included a 6% total salary increase with no contingency, 3% retro and another 3% for 2018/19. A provision to help set classroom size boundaries, and health care protections was also included in the rejected offer. In the above-hyperlinked statement, the district mentioned the following:
Los Angeles teachers deserve more. And together, alongside all of our other labor partners, students, families and communities, Los Angeles Unified is working to increase funding for public education and hopes UTLA leadership will join this effort soon.
It’s clear that the LAUSD is referring to the recently approved ballot measure to bring additional funding to schools. LAUSD stands to gain millions if the measure is approved by the voters of California. It is currently slated to appear on the 2020 ballot. Great news! But we need a solution now, and the UTLA seems unbending at this time.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- La Junta de Educación del Condado de Orange Pone a los Niños en Riesgo al Reabrir las Escuelas - July 20, 2020
- Orange County Board of Education Puts Children at Risk by Reopening Schools - July 15, 2020
- Amidst Threats from the Department of Education, California Schools Go Online For Fall - July 14, 2020
- Hablando y Tomando Medidas Contra los Maestros Racistas - June 8, 2020
- Speaking Up and Taking Action Against Racist Teachers - June 4, 2020