We are honored to announce that our Fellow, Desiree Martinez was featured in La Opinion, America’s largest Spanish language newspaper last week. The letter Desiree wrote for LaComadre.org in mid-August, calling out one of her high school teachers who discouraged her from applying to a four-year university and encouraged her to go to community college instead. Her letter reached thousands of people who for one had a similar experience and others that congratulated in her perseverance. The blog post became so popular that national outlets such as Huffington Post, Remezcla and Refinery29 reposted her letter.
La Opinion conducted an interview with Desiree and featured her along with LaComadre.org Founder Alma V. Marquez, who are both UCLA Alumnae and advocates for educational justice. At La Comadre, we believe educators are to inspire, encourage, prepare and encourage all students.
Read and share the complete article by clicking here Latina graduada de UCLA manda mensaje a maestra que la desanimó de estudiar.
¡Viva La Comadre! ¡Viva Education!
We stand for Latinas and excellence in education!
Latest posts by Cindy Borbon (see all)
- Una Visita de Casa del Director Durante Las Vacaciones de Verano Hizo Una Diferencia en Mi Elección de Escuela - October 2, 2017
- A Home Visit from the Principal Over Summer Vacation Made a Difference in My School Choice - October 2, 2017
- DREAMer de Boyle Heights Comparte Sus Esfuerzos en Univision - September 15, 2017
- Boyle Heights DREAMer Shares His Journey on Univision - September 13, 2017
- La Comadre Interviewed on Univision - September 12, 2017