We are honored to announce that our Fellow, Desiree Martinez was featured in La Opinion, America’s largest Spanish language newspaper last week. The letter Desiree wrote for LaComadre.org in mid-August, calling out one of her high school teachers who discouraged her from applying to a four-year university and encouraged her to go to community college instead. Her letter reached thousands of people who for one had a similar experience and others that congratulated in her perseverance. The blog post became so popular that national outlets such as Huffington Post, Remezcla and Refinery29 reposted her letter.
La Opinion conducted an interview with Desiree and featured her along with LaComadre.org Founder Alma V. Marquez, who are both UCLA Alumnae and advocates for educational justice. At La Comadre, we believe educators are to inspire, encourage, prepare and encourage all students.
Read and share the complete article by clicking here Latina graduada de UCLA manda mensaje a maestra que la desanimó de estudiar.
¡Viva La Comadre! ¡Viva Education!
We stand for Latinas and excellence in education!
Latest posts by Cindy Borbon (see all)
- Modelando Prioridades Para Nuestros Hijos:Dodgers vs el Dia de Casa Abierta en la Escuela - April 30, 2018
- Modeling Priorities for Our Kids: Dodgers vs. the School Open House - April 27, 2018
- A Medida Que Su Estudiante Se Prepara para el Primer Año del Colegio, Prepárese para Todas Las Posibilidades - March 29, 2018
- As Your Student Prepares for the 1st Year of College, Prepare for All of the Possibilities - March 27, 2018
- Creando Comunidad en las Escuelas del Área de Los Ángeles, Con Una Fuerte Educación de STEM, Inmersión en Dos Idiomas y Educadores Afectuosos - March 20, 2018