I don’t want to continue fighting anymore. How many more days do I have to take off from work to travel to Sacramento and share my personal experience and advocate for my children’s high quality charter schools? Will you ever agree to collaborate and work with us parents and actually hear our stories? Do you have any idea of the amazing things that are happening in our campuses that I never saw in other schools?
I’m a parent leader supporting high quality schools, whether they are public charter or traditional public schools. Let’s put a moratorium on failing schools, and yes I mean every kind of public school that is not providing the education that my children and all children deserve. I invite you to the table to talk about the current bills that would stop public charter schools from growing so that instead the language can support high quality schools and also support those schools who are struggling instead of continuing this battle. The fight is focused on money, it is focused on accountability only for charters, but what if we can keep ALL schools accountable for the education that all children are receiving? Shouldn’t that be the focus?
I am tired of the traditional public vs. public charter school rhetoric. Let’s sit down, collaborate and come together for the better of ALL children. Assembly members and Senators, I want to invite us all to the table that is filled with other parent leaders, teachers and school leaders so that we can share ideas and talk about how we can truly support all children. I invite you to visit my children’s schools in East Side San Jose. We can collaborate instead of fight against each other.
Let’s push low performing schools to be better and do better for all kids. Who will stand up and write a bill that reflects the real needs in our communities across California? Who do you think would benefit from such a bill to push low performing schools to make real improvements? Students across the state in low income and underserved communities, that is who will benefit. I hope you take time to read my plea and accept my invitation.
Parent and Advocate from East Side San Jose
Latest posts by Eva Heredia (see all)
- Después de Aprender Cómo ser un Padre Líder Eficaz, Tomé a Otro Padre Voluntario Bajo Mis Alas - June 20, 2019
- After Learning How to Be An Effective Parent Leader, I Took Another Parent Under My Wings - June 19, 2019
- Carta Abierta a los Legisladores Estatales de California : Pongan una Moratoria en Escuelas Deficientes, No en Escuelas Chárter de Alta Calidad - May 2, 2019
- Open Letter to California State Legislators: Put a Moratorium on Failing Schools, Not High Quality Charter Schools - May 1, 2019
- Construyendo un Puente desde la Clase a mi Hogar: Orientaciones KIPP 101 y KIPP 201 - April 18, 2019