Our friends at Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors released an educational video this week that is designed to help immigrant parents talk to their children about their fears in the current political climate. The organization felt compelled to create the video after receiving numerous requests from parents and community members who wanted information about how to communicate to their children about anti-immigrant policies and deportations.
The video is in Spanish, and it addresses bullying and possible family separation. It’s titled “Better safe than sorry” and encourages parents to come up with a plan for their family in case they are apprehended by immigration authorities. It was developed with experts on family engagement, early childhood development and immigration policy.
“At the start of the year we were inundated with calls from concerned parents who were desperate for information on how to navigate current anti-immigrant policies, what to do should they come into contact with officials from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and how to keep their families safe,” said Sandra Gutierrez, founder and national director for Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors.
Gutierrez added that the creation of this video was largely a volunteer effort and came from her organization’s active listening to immigrant families.
For more information about the video, which has versions in English and Spanish subtitles, click here.
Thank you Abriendo Puertas for creating such a powerful and informative resource for our community!
We are all in this together with you. We want to be a resource for you and for all of the children you love. Whether you need some info or you have info to share, you know where to go…LA Comadre.
Latest posts by lacomadre (see all)
- LAUSD Anuncia que los Estudiantes Comenzarán el Año 2020-2021 En Casa - July 14, 2020
- LAUSD Announces Students Will Start the 2020-2021 Year from Home - July 13, 2020
- Durante Estos Tiempos Difíciles, el Cuidado de Nuestras Comunidades es Crítico - May 6, 2020
- During These Trying Times, Caring for our Communities is Critical - May 4, 2020
- Con Sabor: La Ingeniosa Manera en que Una Maestra de Español continuó la Enseñanza desde su Concina - April 17, 2020