My favorite part of the day is tucking my daughter in at night. We get to read a story, sing a lullaby, I kiss her goodnight, and she falls fast asleep. The very thought of having my daughter ripped away from me is heartbreaking. This heartbreaking thought has become a reality for nearly 2,000 children being ripped away from their parents at the U.S. Mexico border. According to the Department of Homeland Security, in just 6 weeks, about 2,000 children have been separated from their parents at the U.S. Mexico border. For me, this isn’t just a piece of data, each one of the 2,000 children could be my daughter. Just as I value holding my daughter close every night, there are mothers and fathers distraught over their children being literally ripped out of their arms. It is absolutely disheartening and downright inhumane. This is morally wrong. This needs to stop. We need to take action, our kids deserve better.
As discussed in a recent article published by USA Today, Senator Dianne Feinstein recently introduced the Keeping Families Together Act. This act would halt the family separations occuring at the border, as the name suggests, it would keep families together. This act is now being co-sponsored by every single Democrat in the Senate. As of Monday, this bill has no support from Republican senators, yet some of them have said in the recent article, that the actions taking place at the border make them “uncomfortable.”
Every single one of the 2,000 children deserve better. As you read this, there are kids as young as four and five years old, being held in cages, alone, and distraught because of these conditions. Every single constituent can take action today, and call your senators and representatives in order to support this bill. By taking part in this action, we can take a step in the right direction.
Latest posts by Daniela Felix (see all)
- The Importance of Mid Year Data for Teachers, Students, and Families - December 18, 2019
- Las Familias Deben Participar en la Mejora de los Resultados de las Pruebas SBAC de California - December 10, 2019
- La Guia de los Aprendices de Inglés de California es un Recurso Útil para los Maestros - December 4, 2019
- California’s English Learner Roadmap Is a Helpful Resource for Teachers - December 2, 2019
- Families Need To Be Involved in Improving California’s SBAC Test Results - November 27, 2019