I wish UTLA would spend money to commission a study on how they might better work with the entire educational community to help kids succeed. Why not find ways to work collaboratively rather than put out a study demonizing charter schools. I had to create this diagram to remind myself and others that we need a better understanding of the “charter school” system lest we be fooled by the misleading reports that are floating around via the UTLA (United Teachers of Los Angeles).
I guess I should not be shocked, but I am. UTLA actually paid money (a lot of money) to commission a report that is absolutely deceptive, confusing, distorted…I think you get where I am going with this. After reading through the farce of a study that was commissioned by the UTLA, only one thing seems clear to me. Greed rules the day at UTLA. How dare this organization pretend to care about the needs of students. Clearly, they care only about funding themselves.
This irresponsible position paper is filled with inaccuracies. First of all, most of the findings are the direct result of State laws and not the district’s policies. Secondly, the piece just underscores the failings of the education system as a whole and the extreme power that unions possess or want to possess. In most cases, the report clearly states that these findings are true all over the state and not just at LAUSD.
Additionally,many of the finding simply support the fact that the district as a whole (and other districts around the state) have botched Special Education, failed to align policies with state laws, and fail to effectively administrate all aspects of public education.
The real question UTLA should be asking is “how can we improve on the services we offer to the students that remain in our traditional schools?”
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- El Panel Escolar de CA Se Ha Actualizado Otra Vez, Pero Todavía No es una Herramienta Óptima Para Muchos Padres - December 18, 2018
- Redlands Unified Settles Another Sexual Claim, This Time for $8.5 Million - December 14, 2018
- CA School Dashboard Has Been Updated Again, But It’s Still Not an Optimal Tool for Many Parents - December 13, 2018
- ¡La promesa del Colegio de Long Beach Nos Muestra a Todos Cómo Debe Hacerse! - December 12, 2018
- Los Estudiantes en Paraíso Regresan a la Escuela Después de un Incendio Devastador - December 11, 2018