One of our goals here at La Comadre is to ensure parents know their rights and how to fight for the correct IEP services when their child has additional needs. However, it’s also important to look at the needs of the teachers who spend hours with our children. A recent study reported by Nevada Today found job burnout increased for Early Childhood Special Education teachers:
“Teachers’ lack of school resources and the high demands placed upon them, the stresses of their work, and their commitment (or lack thereof) to their job were identified as some of the predictors of increased psychological stress and burnout.
The study looked at job resources, job demands, teachers’ beliefs regarding commitment to their job, and specific teaching methodologies, investigating whether these correlated with how much stress the teachers were experiencing. The authors discovered that building up a more collaborative atmosphere, encouraging feedback on curriculum-related decisions and effective professional development programs all have the potential to reduce the job burnout special education teachers face.
Preparing teachers during their pre-service training on how to deal with the unique needs of children with disabilities during their own education finds them much less stressed when they do end up in the classroom.”
Its important teachers are adequately trained not only to instruct but enrich the minds of our most vulnerable students. Are you currently pleased with the special education services offered by your school and district? How do you think they could improve?
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Student Vaccine Mandate in California Scaling Back - June 10, 2022
- Siga estos 5 pasos para solicitar un Permiso de Maestro Suplente en California - May 24, 2022
- Early Childhood Special Education Teachers: The Burnout Crisis - May 24, 2022
- Un Niño con hambre no puede Aprender: La lucha para mantener a los Niños en las Escuelas Alimentados - May 6, 2022
- A Hungry Child Can’t Learn: The Fight to Keep Kids in Schools Fed - April 25, 2022
One thought on “Early Childhood Special Education Teachers: The Burnout Crisis”