Exciting news from last Tuesday’s election regarding La Comadre supporter and long-time public education champion, Marshall Tuck! He was the top vote getter in the race for Superintendent of Public Instruction. Marshall ended up with 37% of the vote where his opponent backed by billionaire teachers unions came in at 34%. Congratulations Marshall!
Going into November, the race for schools chief is the single most important race that we need to focus on and need to find ways to invest into. The other candidate in the race is not an educator but a career politician with no actual classroom or administrative experience. Tony Thurmond is a social worker turned legislator, who was cherry-picked by the CTA to run for this position which he is not qualified for.
Reading an article about the race between these two recently and a statement in particular caught my eye:
“Neither candidate wholly opposes charter schools, but Thurmond maintains that charter schools should financially compensate school districts to offset the funding loss districts suffer when state dollars follow students to charter schools.”
Whoa! I’m sorry, did you really mean to say that Charter Public Schools (CPS) should BUY students from Traditional Public Schools (TPS)? Because that is what is conveyed by this proposal.
So we have a clear choice in November. Marshall Tuck to put kids-first or Tony Thurmond to put a price tag on kids.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- California Lawmakers Participate in the Legislative Slaughter of Charter Schools - May 24, 2019
- Tenga Cuidado con los Hipócritas que Tratan de Imponerte qué Tipo de Educación Debe Obtener Su Hijo - May 21, 2019
- Watch Out for the Hypocrites Who Try to Dictate What Kind of Education Your Child Should Have - May 20, 2019
- Navegando el Proceso de Educación Especial Desde las Reuniones del Equipo de Estudio Estudiantil a Los Planes IEP y 504 - May 17, 2019
- Navigating the Special Education Process from Student Study Team Meetings to IEPs and 504 Plans - May 15, 2019