LAUSD Students & Families: We are sharing additional resources as they become available. We commend the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, the Department of Parks and Recreation for providing these resources to families. As we come to end of day 3, we ask that you continue to reach out to us if you need any information or support. We continue to be firm in our commitment to supporting students and their families, and we want to see the union and the LAUSD come to an agreement as soon as possible. Please see the press release below from LA County Parks:
FOR MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 15, 2019
Contact: Terry Kanakri, (626) 588-5372
Email: [email protected]
FAMILIES AFFECTED BY LAUSD STRIKE WILL HAVE ACCESS TO SNACKS, PROGRAMS, AND FEES WAIVED AT SELECTED LOS ANGELES COUNTY PARKS
Following approval by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, the Department of Parks and Recreation will provide open gym, expand snack programs, and free programming at six community regional parks during the LAUSD teachers strike, not to exceed 30 days.
The following parks will provide special programming from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- Jesse Owens Community Regional Park, 9651 S. Western Ave., Los Angeles.
- Ted Watkins Memorial Park, 1335 E. 103 St., Los Angeles.
- Victoria Community Regional Park, 419 E. 192 St., Carson.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Park, 7600 Graham Ave., Los Angeles.
- El Cariso Community Regional Park, 13100 Hubbard St., Sylmar.
- Belvedere Community Regional Park, 4914 E. Cesar Chavez Ave., Los Angeles.
The Board of Supervisor also approved waiving admission, parking and other associated fees for LAUSD students and their custodians during school hours from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge; Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden in Arcadia; South Coast Botanic Garden in Palos Verdes Estates; and Virginia Robinson Gardens in Beverly Hills.
Additionally, county supervisors authorized the Department of Parks and Recreation to work together with the Los Angeles County Public Library to expand children’s snack programs to libraries.
“We understand the challenges many households and children are facing as the strike continues,” said John Wicker, director of the Department of Parks and Recreation. “The selected county parks will provide children with an opportunity to spend quality time in a safe environment.”
La Comadre Connections
Latest posts by La Comadre Connections (see all)
- Algunos Recursos Para Niños Con “Discapacidades Ocultas” - August 14, 2019
- Some Resources for Children with “Hidden Disabilities” - August 12, 2019
- Las Familias Impactadas por la Huelga de UTLA, Tienen Acceso a Bocadillos y Programas en Parques Seleccionados del Condado de Los Ángeles - January 17, 2019
- Families Impacted by UTLA Strike Have Access to Snacks and Programs at Selected LA County Parks - January 16, 2019
- Recursos para Mantener a Sus Hijos Seguros Durante la Huelga de LAUSD - January 15, 2019