Last month I had the privilege of attending a parent training at the Chula Vista Elementary School District, which was lead by, Elizabeth Gianulus, MTSS director.
During this parent training, we were made aware that behavioral issues in our society are statistically going up and that the Chula Vista Elementary School District is being a part of the solution.
The solution involves supporting all students and implementing social emotional learning in every classroom.
Every student who is part of the Chula Vista Elementary School District now receives at least 15 minutes of social emotional learning per day. Many are receiving more than that as social emotional learning is being embedded into the core curriculum at every school.
Now I understand why my transitional kindergarten student is coming home teaching us that when students in his classroom need to calm down, they are being taught to: “smell the flower, blow out the candle.”
Students are now actively learning how to make friends, calm down, and regulate emotions.
There are also universal screenings, which are being implemented where the number of nurse visits, attendance, and the overall happiness of the child are measured.
Did your child smile today?
If they are a part of the Chula Vista Elementary School District, there is someone noticing if they don’t.
Teachers are now also being asked to do quick assessments. Does the student have friends? Do they seem sad? Nervous? Worried? Are they connecting?
The Chula Vista Elementary School District is no longer expecting students to have skills such as making friends, or knowing which games are being played on the playground. Everyone learns everything. Clear and consistent expectations are being given and students are being rewarded with recognition and positive reinforcement.
Thank you Chula Vista for being part of the solution.
How is your school district handling the social emotional learning of the students they are serving?
Latest posts by Melissa Cota (see all)
- El Distrito Escolar Primario de Chula Vista Ayuda a los Estudiantes con el Aprendizaje Social y Emocional - November 15, 2019
- El Distrito Escolar Primario de Chula Vista organiza la 5ta Academia Anual de Padres - November 12, 2019
- Chula Vista Elementary School District Helps Students With Social Emotional Learning - November 7, 2019
- Los Halcones de la Primaria Otay Bailarán en el Juego de Baloncesto del Estado de San Diego - October 28, 2019
- Chula Vista Elementary School District Hosts 5th Annual Parent Academy - October 25, 2019