Before I became a “mom” I decided to also push writing as my creative skill to develop, since I was going to be at home A LOT. But I needed to learn new TOOLS to keep my mind happy as a previous social butterfly.
1. Choose one thing to complete everyday.
Find something that you can do within one day. To feel like you have been productive and successful makes you feel complete.
2. Cooking at home 3 meals a day is stressful. Commit to having one large meal that you cook so you can have leftovers the next day. But eat two smaller meals in between that don’t need much cooking.
3. More housework happens when you are home! So don’t be lazy, have a few rags and wipe down and have certain rooms that you need to tidy to feel at ease and be able to relax in, especially if you have kids.
4. Laundry can pile up if you wash like you did before and it’s not necessary if you are home. Try to re-wear your clothes twice and reuse bath towels twice if you are not sweating/soiling.
5. Talk on the phone/FaceTime. Give yourself break times even if you have a family around. Talk to a supportive friend that you can laugh with.
6. You are not missing out on anything! We are all in the same boat and you need to shift your mind. Read some self-help books to understand yourself more and do healing on your patterns of life. I started with The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.
7. MEDITATE!!! Just because you didn’t learn it in Sunday school doesn’t mean it’s not good for you. This tool saved my life. There are self guided meditations you can find in YouTube or you just close your eyes and take a deep breath counting to 5 and exhale counting to 5.
8. Listen to music that puts you in a good mood and gets you moving. Dance if you want but listening to good music changes your thinking patterns and puts you in a positive state of mind.
9. Be creative! Draw, write, play with your kid dolls, tell your family stories. Express yourself in someway or form and get creative. It helps with anxiety and allows you to release. With youtube you can even take lessons!
10. Be patient with yourself. Not having many people or work around removed the noise. From my own experience it made me have to deal with my own shortcomings and all the trauma of my past was in my mind. Learn to love yourself more and start a journal. Write out the things that surface and pick one to focus on. At the end of the day only you can control your reality. Write out the hurt you still carry and release it. Meditate how you will become more compassionate and learn a new pattern even if it starts with saying “Good morning.” I also once a week write out what I’m grateful for, what I manifested (created) that week and what I intend to do next week.
At the end of the day your goal should be listening to yourself more and learning how to love yourself so others can learn to love you in new ways in your new life pattern of being home. Be patient with the other people in your house too. But I promise you if you start doing this work they will see a difference and want to learn what you are up to so they can cope too!