Great news regarding a previous story we posted about Rómulo Avelica-González. Rómulo was detained by ICE after dropping his kids off at their Highland Park school five months ago.
Today, CBS News and other news outlets are reporting that the entire deportation order against him has been thrown out by a local judge. Although Rómulo Avelica-González remains in ICE Custody, he is scheduled to appear before an immigration judge on August 30, 2017, if he is not released before then.
Avelica-González was picked up after dropping off his kids at Academia Avance, a charter school, in Highland Park in March of 2017. The case was controversial and even prompted the State Superintendent of Public Instruction to write letters to the new administration regarding a change in policies and schools. This was an important development as it put charter schools at the forefront of the immigration debate and mobilized an entire public school sector to defend immigrants and their children.
Avelica-González’s 12 year-old daughter Fatima Avelica was cast into the limelight in defense of her father, and her family and has been quoted as saying, “We are bigger than Donald Trump.”
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Presidente de la Junta de Educación Unificada de Fresno Hace Declaración Anti-LGBT de Dais - August 17, 2017
- El Proyecto de Ley Protegerá a Los Niños de Escuela de Los Delincuentes Sexuales - August 15, 2017
- La Corte de Apelaciones Lanza Orden de Deportación Para Rómulo Avelica-González, Padre de Un Estudiante de Una Escuela Pública de Los Ángeles - August 14, 2017
- President of Fresno Unified Board of Education Makes Anti-LGBT Statement from Dais - August 14, 2017
- Appeals Court Throws Out Deportation Order for Rómulo Avelica-González, Parent of Los Angeles Public School Student - August 11, 2017