Great news regarding a previous story we posted about Rómulo Avelica-González. Rómulo was detained by ICE after dropping his kids off at their Highland Park school five months ago.
Today, CBS News and other news outlets are reporting that the entire deportation order against him has been thrown out by a local judge. Although Rómulo Avelica-González remains in ICE Custody, he is scheduled to appear before an immigration judge on August 30, 2017, if he is not released before then.
Avelica-González was picked up after dropping off his kids at Academia Avance, a charter school, in Highland Park in March of 2017. The case was controversial and even prompted the State Superintendent of Public Instruction to write letters to the new administration regarding a change in policies and schools. This was an important development as it put charter schools at the forefront of the immigration debate and mobilized an entire public school sector to defend immigrants and their children.
Avelica-González’s 12 year-old daughter Fatima Avelica was cast into the limelight in defense of her father, and her family and has been quoted as saying, “We are bigger than Donald Trump.”
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Necesitamos Claridad Sobre la Ley Federal Que Exige Que Todos Los Niños en Estados Unidos Reciban Educación Pública Gratuita, Independientemente del Estado Migratorio - July 18, 2018
- We Need Clarity About the Federal Law Requiring All Children on U.S. Soil to Receive Free Public Education, Regardless of Immigration Status - July 13, 2018
- ¿Tienen Derecho Los Estudiantes a Aprender Mientras Están en la Escuela? Un Juez de Detroit Dice, Tal Vez No … Entonces, ¿Por Qué Deberían Estar Obligados a Asistir? - July 12, 2018
- Do Students Have The Right To Learn While In School? A Detroit Judge Says, Maybe Not…So, Why Should They Be Required To Attend? - July 11, 2018
- Auditoría Estatal Muestra que Ex Administradores de San Ysidro Pueden Haber Conspirado para Involucrarse en Fraude /de Apropiación Indebida - July 2, 2018