Great news regarding a previous story we posted about Rómulo Avelica-González. Rómulo was detained by ICE after dropping his kids off at their Highland Park school five months ago.
Today, CBS News and other news outlets are reporting that the entire deportation order against him has been thrown out by a local judge. Although Rómulo Avelica-González remains in ICE Custody, he is scheduled to appear before an immigration judge on August 30, 2017, if he is not released before then.
Avelica-González was picked up after dropping off his kids at Academia Avance, a charter school, in Highland Park in March of 2017. The case was controversial and even prompted the State Superintendent of Public Instruction to write letters to the new administration regarding a change in policies and schools. This was an important development as it put charter schools at the forefront of the immigration debate and mobilized an entire public school sector to defend immigrants and their children.
Avelica-González’s 12 year-old daughter Fatima Avelica was cast into the limelight in defense of her father, and her family and has been quoted as saying, “We are bigger than Donald Trump.”
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Student Vaccine Mandate in California Scaling Back - June 10, 2022
- Siga estos 5 pasos para solicitar un Permiso de Maestro Suplente en California - May 24, 2022
- Early Childhood Special Education Teachers: The Burnout Crisis - May 24, 2022
- Un Niño con hambre no puede Aprender: La lucha para mantener a los Niños en las Escuelas Alimentados - May 6, 2022
- A Hungry Child Can’t Learn: The Fight to Keep Kids in Schools Fed - April 25, 2022