Students in Detroit are fighting in federal court for access to literacy. We are living in a chaotic and truly shameful moment in time where a white judge in Detroit can’t decide that kids of color have the right to learn to read in the exact same moment that immigrant children held captive by the United States in illegal concentration camps by the Trump administration are forced into schools immediately because “federal law requires that all children on American soil receive a free public education, regardless of their immigration status.“
Thousands of children have been taken from their parents at various ports of entry in the United States and now stand in limbo awaiting trials to be charged as criminals for the “crime” of presenting at the border with their parents. Presenting yourself at the border to claim asylum is not a crime. Under international law, individuals who are fleeing their home countries must be allowed to commit their claims for asylum. Because the U.S. is not following international laws and norms, thousands of Central American children are now in custody all across the country. These children are all required to be enrolled in school, which consists of instruction in these kiddie jails.
What kind of instruction is required for these immigrant children, since it’s still debatable we have to teach them anything, according to a Detroit judge anyway?
Just to be clear, there is a federal law requiring all kids have access to learning. I suppose that is the least we can do since our government has essentially kidnapped these children, and they are currently being held hostage as political pawns for the current president to use as bargaining leverage. This is an evil and twisted maneuver by the United States. Yet, it remains to be seen what kind of “education” these poor kids will be subjected too.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Huelga del LAUSD: ¿Cuál es la Historia Real? Ex Maestra, Ex Miembro del Consejo Escolar y Mamá Nos Los Explica - September 17, 2018
- LAUSD Strike: What’s the Real Story? Former Teacher, Former School Board Member, and Mom Breaks It Down - September 13, 2018
- La Escuela Inland Empire Entregará $ 15.7 Millones para el Arreglo de Casos de Abuso Sexual, pero quedan Dudas Sobre lo que se Está Haciendo para Proteger a los Estudiantes - September 4, 2018
- Inland Empire School Dishes Out $15.7 Million in Sex Abuse Case Settlement, But Questions Remain About What Is Being Done To Protect Students - August 29, 2018
- Betsy DeVos Está Por Quitarle los Derechos a los Estudiantes Aprendices del Idioma Inglés - August 23, 2018