Students in Detroit are fighting in federal court for access to literacy. We are living in a chaotic and truly shameful moment in time where a white judge in Detroit can’t decide that kids of color have the right to learn to read in the exact same moment that immigrant children held captive by the United States in illegal concentration camps by the Trump administration are forced into schools immediately because “federal law requires that all children on American soil receive a free public education, regardless of their immigration status.“
Thousands of children have been taken from their parents at various ports of entry in the United States and now stand in limbo awaiting trials to be charged as criminals for the “crime” of presenting at the border with their parents. Presenting yourself at the border to claim asylum is not a crime. Under international law, individuals who are fleeing their home countries must be allowed to commit their claims for asylum. Because the U.S. is not following international laws and norms, thousands of Central American children are now in custody all across the country. These children are all required to be enrolled in school, which consists of instruction in these kiddie jails.
What kind of instruction is required for these immigrant children, since it’s still debatable we have to teach them anything, according to a Detroit judge anyway?
Just to be clear, there is a federal law requiring all kids have access to learning. I suppose that is the least we can do since our government has essentially kidnapped these children, and they are currently being held hostage as political pawns for the current president to use as bargaining leverage. This is an evil and twisted maneuver by the United States. Yet, it remains to be seen what kind of “education” these poor kids will be subjected too.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Necesitamos Claridad Sobre la Ley Federal Que Exige Que Todos Los Niños en Estados Unidos Reciban Educación Pública Gratuita, Independientemente del Estado Migratorio - July 18, 2018
- We Need Clarity About the Federal Law Requiring All Children on U.S. Soil to Receive Free Public Education, Regardless of Immigration Status - July 13, 2018
- ¿Tienen Derecho Los Estudiantes a Aprender Mientras Están en la Escuela? Un Juez de Detroit Dice, Tal Vez No … Entonces, ¿Por Qué Deberían Estar Obligados a Asistir? - July 12, 2018
- Do Students Have The Right To Learn While In School? A Detroit Judge Says, Maybe Not…So, Why Should They Be Required To Attend? - July 11, 2018
- Auditoría Estatal Muestra que Ex Administradores de San Ysidro Pueden Haber Conspirado para Involucrarse en Fraude /de Apropiación Indebida - July 2, 2018