Now that college applications are in, and your application for financial aid has been submitted, it’s time to focus on scholarships. We all know that the cost for college might look scary, but don’t let the price tag stop you from pursuing your dreams for higher education. There are hundreds of dollars available through scholarships to help you cover that cost. Below are a few tips to remember.
- Reuse your college application essays
Let’s face it, you spent a long time perfecting your personal insight questions and personal statements, it’s ok to reuse them. In reality, many scholarship applications will ask similar questions to those you previously answered. With some careful editing, you can save yourself from writing an entirely new essay.
- Apply for different types of scholarships
Yes, applying for scholarships can be a bit intimidating, but remember there are different types of scholarships you can apply for. Some might be a bit more time consuming and require multiple essays and letters of recommendation; these are usually the scholarships that offer more money. But there is also smaller scholarships, such as those where you can text in a code word to be entered, or those that do not require more than one essay. By diversifying the different types of scholarships you apply for, you can increase your odds of obtaining one.
- Apply to Local Scholarships
These types of scholarships usually go unnoticed by students because they are not publicized on scholarship websites, which means fewer students are applying for them. Check with your counselor or your college and career center for local or community scholarships. There are plenty of organizations that want to support students in their community and offer great scholarships ranging in size. While they might not be as big as other scholarships, you can use these local scholarships to cover small cost such as books, parking passes, or other deposits.
Latest posts by Yvette Torres (see all)
- El Costo del Desarrollo Profesional para los Consejeros Escolares Afecta Su Capacidad para Ayudar a los Estudiantes con Aplicaciones de UC - June 25, 2018
- The Cost of Professional Development for School Counselors Impacts Their Ability to Help Students with UC Applications - June 18, 2018
- 3 Consejos de Becas Para Recordar - March 5, 2018
- Three Scholarship Tips to Remember - March 1, 2018
- Soy una Maestra Sustituta y Me Encanta el Trabajo, Pero Mis Estudiantes Merecen Más - February 27, 2018