Let’s unpack this Joe Biden faux pas. Presidential candidate (and alleged frontrunner) spoke in De Moines, Iowa this week at a town hall sponsored by Asian & Latino Coalition PAC. While speaking, he tried to make a point about something, I don’t know what, but instead made a racist remark referring to poor kids as being only children of color, not white.
Here’s what Joe Biden said:
“We have this notion that somehow if you’re poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids”
So many things wrong here. First of all. Who has that notion? White people of privilege do! Because the rest of us know that ALL children can learn and that ALL children can be academically successful when they are not being taught by teachers who echo this false narrative. This is where we get the belief gap. And this is why it is so important to have teachers that DO NOT speak into reality this fallacy about our children.
Secondly, what this says is that only children of color are “poor” the white are just, what? What this ignorant statement by a man that wants to be President is saying to me is that poor kids are always something other than white. But don’t worry, they too can still be just as bright and smart as the white kids. Hello! Maybe I don’t want my kids to be “just as” bright as the white kids. Maybe I just want my kids to be bright. Period!
And finally. Who are you speaking to? People of Color dude! This is your message to them? That their kids could be just as bright as white kids? Wow.
I am so offended by this quote by Biden. And we should all be. I guess considering his history of subtle racism I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am. Seriously, he served with the nation’s first African American President! He should know and do better.
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Los Padres Forman una Unión Nacional en Nueva Orleans - January 20, 2020
- Parents Form a National Union in New Orleans…Finally - January 19, 2020
- Pobres Puntajes de Exámenes en California Deberían Impulsar a la Gente a Mirar de Cerca el Desempeño de los Maestros - October 23, 2019
- Los Votantes Primarios Demócratas Apoyan a las Escuelas Chárter, Mientras Que Muchos Demócratas Elegidos No - October 22, 2019
- Poor Test Scores in California Should Prompt Folks to Look Closely at Teacher Performance - October 22, 2019