I am so tired of hearing about kids being denied a school lunch because of unpaid and overdue lunch bills.
Kids didn’t ask for any of this! They weren’t asked if they wanted to attend school, they are told they must. Kids don’t choose to be hungry, it’s a reality for many as America continues to dismiss the issue of extreme poverty and food insecurity for families across the nation.
Not one more kid should go through this bullshit! In the most recent story of denied lunch, a boy in Ohio has his tray taken away on his birthday over a $9.00 unpaid lunch tab. I’m sorry, are the schools in Ohio so hard up for cash that $9.00 will make or break the district? So much so that a child has to go hungry and be humiliated on his birthday?
This is outrageous. It has to stop. Why do these kids even have to buy lunch? They are forced to attend school, they should be given a lunch. Why are we even having a conversation about public schools not providing free lunches in 2019? Especially for children who live in areas in the country where food insecurity is an established epidemic?
We as a country need to stop the lunch shaming and provide breakfast and lunch to all students regardless of their financial status. The time is now to do this. In the next few days, I will be working on creating a petition (national) demanding an end to this practice of paying for lunch and instead have universal free school lunch programs.
Not one more student should be lunch shamed in America!
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- Student Vaccine Mandate in California Scaling Back - June 10, 2022
- Siga estos 5 pasos para solicitar un Permiso de Maestro Suplente en California - May 24, 2022
- Early Childhood Special Education Teachers: The Burnout Crisis - May 24, 2022
- Un Niño con hambre no puede Aprender: La lucha para mantener a los Niños en las Escuelas Alimentados - May 6, 2022
- A Hungry Child Can’t Learn: The Fight to Keep Kids in Schools Fed - April 25, 2022