Dr. Feliza Ortiz-Licon has been a champion for students for 20 years. She started her career as an elementary school teacher in the Long Beach Unified School District, went on to work on policy at the Los Angeles Unified School District, worked on college access issues at the Fulfillment Fund, and most recently has been leading educational initiatives at UnidosUS (formerly the National Council of La Raza).
For the past four years, Dr. Ortiz-Licon has served on the State Board of Education. She was appointed by former Governor Brown, and her term is set to expire on January 15, 2020. We are urging Governor Newsom to reappoint her to the State Board of Education. Dr. Ortiz-Licon has been a champion for equity, closing student achievement gaps, and for community engagement.
Dr. Ortiz-Licon is one of two Latinas who are currently serving on the State Board of Education. Dr. Nicolasa Sandoval, who is of Chumash and Latina ancestry, is the other. At a time when the majority of public school students in the K-12 system are Latino, we need to ensure that Latinas are represented on the state’s K-12 policy-making body for academic standards, curriculum, instructional materials, assessments and accountability.
Latinas often make educational decisions for the children in their families. At a time when our population continues to grow and yet we have lower than average educational attainment, we need advocates who believe in strengthening and expanding opportunities for our youth. Dr. Ortiz-Licon has helped set the standard for qualities of high performing, Latino-serving schools.
Dr. Ortiz-Licon is a role model for our community. She’s the daughter of immigrants and was an English language learner. She has lived the experience of many students in our community. We need leaders like her on the California Board of Education.
Latest posts by La Comadre (see all)
- After 2 Decades of Advocacy, California Will Finally Require Ethnic Studies in High Schools - October 14, 2021
- How California is Leading the Way in Advancing Racial Equity at Colleges and Universities - October 5, 2021
- Proyecto de ley de Estudios Étnicos Aprobado y en espera de la firma del Gobernador Newsom - September 29, 2021
- Ethnic Studies Bill Passed and Awaits Governor Newsom’s Signature - September 23, 2021
- El Distrito Escolar Unificado de Los Ángeles vota por unanimidad para ordenar las Vacunas Covid-19 - September 16, 2021