I’m not sure why this had not happened before, but I am so happy to announce that it’s happening now! As I sit here today, in a ballroom at the NOPSI Hotel in New Orleans, I am surrounded by parents/delegates from all over the country who have convened this weekend to ratify the National Parents Union (NPU).
The inaugural convening is dubbed Parent Power 2020! There is participation from every corner of the country, including Puerto Rico! Delegates have showed up to vote for the platform, elect leadership, ratify the bylaws and complete the first direct action which was to march through the streets of New Orleans in support of challenging the status quo on the criminal way that systems leave our kids behind.
Although it may have been attempted by others in the past, to wit, no one has been able to successfully bring parents from the entire United States together for a collective and deliberate convening of a Parent Union for member voting and ratification of an Executive Board.
The brainchild of two of education’s most fierce warriors, the coast to coast Comadres, Keri Rodrigues of Boston, Massachusetts and Alma Marquez of Los Angeles, California have been planning this for the last two years. Today, January 18, 2020, the NPU was born and Keri Rodridgues became President of the Union with Alma Marquez being voted in as Secretary/Treasurer. I could not be prouder. Now the work begins!
Latest posts by Leticia Chavez-Garcia (see all)
- ¡La Representación iImporta! Felicitaciones a la Supervisora Nora Vargas - June 1, 2021
- Representation Matters! Congrats to Supervisor Nora Vargas - May 31, 2021
- ¡Necesitamos Hablar sobre Bully y los Miembros de la Junta Escolar como esté, en Alum Rock! - May 21, 2021
- We Need to Talk About Bully School Board Members, Like This One in Alum Rock! - May 20, 2021
- ¡¡Mi Hija Autista Empezará su Carrera en La Universidad de Cal!! - May 19, 2021